Glad you asked!
JetEngine is a tool for making pixel-perfect 2D sidescrollers in Unity! It’s been designed from the ground up to let you create your game as quickly as possible, with as little fuss as possible!
The core of JetEngine is a custom 2D physics engine which focuses on flawless precision. It takes its inspiration from the classic games of the 8 and 16-bit eras, when physics were 100% stable, digital, and videogamey. JetEngine doesn’t simply work: it feels amazing while doing it. And, yes, it has precision-based sloping terrain!
Beyond the physics, JetEngine gives you access to a huge variety of character mechanics and abilities. You can make both the player and the enemies move, jump, climb, use attacks, and much more — and we’re adding new stuff all the time! Our goal is for JetEngine to be a sort of digital archive for classic game mechanics. After all, the classic games are classics for a reason, and they’ve been around for ages; why should you have to reinvent the wheel every time you make a game that uses them?
JetEngine doesn’t just do the basics, either. It’s not afraid to roll up its metaphorical sleeves and help you with the nitty-gritty advanced stuff: you can alter or even reverse gravity, make the player or enemies take multiple types of damage including damage-over-time (heya poison!), and feel like a superhero by spiking bullets back at your foes.
What Makes JetEngine Awesome?
We Can Barely Fit Everything in This Box
Here’s a Small List
- Tight, responsive, pixel-perfect 2D physics.
- Flawless sloped terrain!
- Powerful Inspector features: create characters that play like a myriad of classic game heroes!
- Classic character attacks: shoot projectiles, swing melee weapons, bounce on enemies, and even reflect bullets!
- Quickly and easily adjust core character stats like velocity, acceleration, and jump height.
- Give actors unique properties and animation sets for land, sea, and air movement, and toggle between them instantly with the push of a button!
- The complete classic platformer arsenal. Run, jump, swim, and even fly! Attack with melee or projectile attacks. Double-jump, dash, and climb, with pixel-perfect precision!
- Want moon physics, or even reverse gravity? JetEngine does crazy stuff like that, too!
- Crunchy effects to spice up your game feel including hit sparks, screen shake, and sprite jitter. JetEngine doesn’t just function — it FEELS good!
- Piece scenes together and add vital features like checkpoints and level-complete markers.
- Utilize a wide range of enemy behaviors: enemies can patrol, jump over pits, home in on the player, or even utilize any of the player’s attacks and abilities!